Yesterday was Canadian Thanksgiving and I have a lot to be thankful for, despite it being a tough couple of months. I’m not going to go into great detail here, but I lost my mom fairly suddenly in September and if you know me or follow me on Facebook, you know we were close and well, it sucks.
Okay, so that was some detail, but I don’t want to get all maudlin on you; I’m here today to talk about the things I’m thankful for*:
- My husband, who makes a mean turkey
- Family and friends who have been amazing these past weeks
- Being shortlisted for the Fiction list of the 2013 Hamilton Literary Awards (which take place on my birthday–attention universe!). I’m in excellent company on this very small list of three and am amazed to be on there. Go Hammer!
- That I was able to go to NYC last week and have a really good time, including seeing ANNIE! Check out Katherine Longshore’s cool recap because I’m too lazy to do one of my own (includes goofy dancing video–must see).
- That SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE has been chosen to be on the 2014 Ontario Library Association Forest of Reading Red Maple list. This is one of those things that I crossed my fingers for, hoping it would happen, but didn’t dare believe it would. This is HUGE and to be recognized here at home in Ontario is so special. I’m honoured and in such great company with wonderful fellow Canadian authors that I really feel like we all win. I’m also so glad I attended the 2013 award event in support of my author friends, so I have a good sense of the impact of this program. I’m so, so, so excited and I know my mom is watching and she is, too.
- This means more readers for SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE. So cool, right? My little book about bras and boys and ghosts and kissing. Still feels weird to me that people who are not immediate family members want to read my book.
- There is a Chinese food buffet that we go to called…wait for it…RED MAPLE! I think it’s kind of the law that I need to go there and celebrate, right? Just as soon as I eat all of this turkey…
- YOU. Thank YOU for being here and for supporting me and my book. Even though SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE came out last year, it’s still finding its way to readers and I’m so thankful for that. I wish I could hug you all, but failing that, anyone want a drumstick? Some turkey soup? Casserole? A turkey sandwich, perhaps? Please?
*As I finished writing this list, it occurred to me that I should note that these items are not in any order of importance.
Last night I stumbled on a SALE – my book is only $2.39 for Kindle right now. That’s right, $2.39. That’s like the price of a latte or a bunch of other things that are just not as fun or satisfying as a cute and funny e-book about a girl who gets hit by lightning and can then hear ghosts.
What else can you get for $2.39? I did the work for you and here’s what you can get:
But really, why do you need any of those things when for that money, you can get hours of entertainment and a scene where a girl shops for bras with a couple of dead old ladies? Right?
If you don’t have a Kindle, you can download the Kindle Reader ap thingie and can read on your phone, tablet or computer, so if you’re reading this blog post, you can easily read the book. That said, if you prefer to hold a real book, it’s still a very reasonable price to get a copy for yourself or your tween.
p.s. The book is on sale RIGHT NOW, but I truly have no idea how long it will be on sale for, so A. act now if you’re thinking about it and B. if you miss the sale, please don’t blame me-I have nothing to do with the prices of my book.
Thank you to all of you who have spread the word about this sale – it means a lot to know so many of you support me and the book!
It’s been a busy few weeks, to say the least. If you don’t know why, um, where have you been?
In addition to doing some signing events and going to NCTE in Las Vegas, Kate Messner and I headed up a fundraiser for Superstorm Sandy relief, for which we raised ***drumroll*** over $60,000! Round 2 alone raised $23,282. Pretty awesome, right?
I’m SO thankful for Kate and the rest of the people who made the auction amazing. We had a ton of donors who offered up their time, services and great stuff to help us reach this goal. Please check out the auctions (please note – the auctions are all now closed) to see who our donors were—SO MUCH talent and generosity—I’m honored that they all came forward to help out.
If you did miss the auctions or didn’t win one of the awesome prizes donated by publishing industry rockstars, the Red Cross is still collecting donations and the money is much needed, so please donate if you can*.
So now that’s over, I’m going to take a bit of a break to get back to writing. Hopefully I remember how to do that, because it feels like it’s been a loooooong time.
Wishing you all the best for your holiday season and remember, nothing makes a better gift than a book. Like one about ghosts. And bras and first kisses. If you agree, you can find SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE at your favorite book retailer (see my main page for handy links) or if you want a personalized copy, get in touch with my SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE Indie Bookstore Headquarters, Bryan Prince Books and they’ll set you up with a signed, personalized copy (they’ll ship anywhere, because they’re awesome like that).
AND it is the season for giving, so consider giving a book, ANY book to a children’s toy drive so we can all spread the joy of reading.
Hi and welcome to the Book Birthday of SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE!
It’s finally here! SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE releases June 26 in Canada and July 3 in the U.S.! To celebrate, I’m all over the internet this week and next, talking about my brand new book baby.
Want to join in the celebration? Sure you do!
Check back, as I’m going to be adding links to new posts for the next two weeks as they pop up. And stay tuned as I get ready for THE BIG FINALE, when I’ll be giving away LOTS OF STUFF! Like books, and swag and maybe a t-shirt and sock monkey. You’ll just have to wait to see, but, yes, that’s right – there will be a Prize Pack of Awesomeness!
Until then, if you’re itching to win something, I’ve just posted the July Street Team check in.
And there are lots of giveaway opportunities below.
IMPORTANT: If you happen to buy a copy of SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE (thank you!), save your receipt for the big finale–I’ll tell you why soon!
Blogs I’m visiting – thank you so much to everyone who has hosted me! I have had a lot of fun doing interviews and posts:
Class of 2k12 – Talking about my release day(s)
Red House Books – Book memories
Get Lost In a Story – Interview
Cari’s Book Blog – Interview
The Nerdy Book Club (Giveaway!) – Guest post
Watch. Connect. Read. (Giveaway!) – Interview and dorky video
Sharpread – Review
Ex Libris (Giveaway) – Interview
Some cool stuff happened that I’d like to tell you about.
First, blogger extraordinaire, Evie from Bookish surprised me on Twitter with this tweet: Book Thong I made for @JoanneLevy and am planning to trade it for some extra cupcakes at her awesome Launch:
HOW COOL IS THIS? Right? Evie, thank you – you’re getting a big hug AND extra cupcakes for this. I can’t wait to see the real thing (AND YOU) at my launch.
So that’s one cool thing, how about another? Yep. So here’s the review from Kirkus, those people who even call themselves “The world’s toughest book critics.” You know I bit my nails to the quick when I was waiting for this one, don’t you?
But I needn’t have worried!
Yadda, yadda, yadda…stuff happens (I’m paraphrasing) and then… “In a fresh, frank and funny first-person voice, Lilah tells of her ghostly encounters from the perspective of a normal Jewish girl coping with abnormal powers. Droll middle school drama.“
Amazing, right? FRESH, FRANK and, most importantly, FUNNY! I’m over the moon at this good stuff.
Thank you Evie, Kirkus and the Universe for this awesomeness, and for you, who I can share it with.